Tips to Help Prevent Skin Rashes
A skin rash is when the skin gets inflamed and discolored. Rashes can result from a variety of causes such as heat or other irritants, allergic reactions, and infections. If you have a rash that will not go away or is causing you significant discomfort, make an appointment with your doctor. Refer to the tips below for preventing heat rash and intertrigo.
Heat Rash- This rash occurs when sweat clogs the skin and leads to discomfort.
1. Avoid tight-fitting clothing that does not allow for the skin to breath.
2. Be sure to change out of sweaty clothing.
3. Avoid over-exerting yourself during hot days. Stay cool and dry by keeping in air-conditioning whenever possible.
Intertrigo- This rash occurs with skin-to-skin friction resulting in irritation. It is most common in areas such as under the arms, groin, between the thighs, and under the breasts.
1. Maintain dry and clean skin in areas that tend to create lots of friction.
- Antiperspirant can help prevent excess sweat from forming and creating discomfort and rashes.
- Powders can help absorb excess moisture and minimize discomfort.
- Petroleum Jelly can help prevent chafing in areas such as between the thighs.
2. Use a barrier cream to lessen the friction of skin-to-skin contact.
3. Wear loose-fitting clothing containing natural fibers such as cotton or silk. These materials breathe easier than artificial ones and cause less irritation on the skin.
Contact Skin Laser & Surgery Specialists of New York and New Jersey to book your consultation and learn more about skin rashes and possible treatments. Our practice serves residents of New York, New Jersey, and even South Florida, with offices in Hackensack, Manhattan, Hillsborough, Montclair, and Palm Beach Gardens. A glowing complexion diminished of wrinkles, scars and discoloration is within your reach.