Skin Tags: How to Get Rid of Those Pesky Growths
Skin tags are benign, fleshy growths that typically develop on skin areas exposed to a lot of friction and moisture, such as on the neck, torso, near the genitals, or armpits. As we age, the chance of developing a skin tag dramatically increases. These pesky growths can be both unsightly and cause discomfort. Having a skin tag removed can help us look and feel our best. There are a variety of dermatology options and natural removal methods. Always remember that if you have a skin tag that becomes painful, bleeds, itches, or has changed in color, make an appointment to see your dermatologist. Fortunately, there are many options when it comes to treatment.
Visit Your Dermatologist
Dermatologists offer a variety of treatments to remove skin tags. Some options include:
- Cryotherapy– This procedure removes the skin tag by freezing it with liquid nitrogen. This method is popular because it is fast, minimally invasive, and relatively painless.
- Gradle Scissor Removal– This procedure easily removes the skin tag by snipping them off at the base.
- Laser Removal– A laser is used to burn the skin tag off the body. The procedure is quick with minimal discomfort.
Natural Treatments for Skin Tags
It is always recommended to see your dermatologist to receive a physical examination to determine if the skin tag is, in fact, a skin tag, or if it is another skin problem. Once you are certain you are dealing with a skin tag, you can try some of the natural options listed below.
- Tea Tree Oil– Tea Tree Oil has antibacterial properties and a long and safe history connected to natural medicine. Dip a cotton ball in water and add two drops of 100% Tea Tree Oil. Apply directly to the skin tag. Repeat these steps a few times daily until the skin tag eventually is removed.
- Apple Cider Vinegar– Use Apple Cider Vinegar directly on skin tags by applying with a cotton ball. Once dried, leave the vinegar on the skin for a few hours. Gently rinse off the vinegar and repeat this same method throughout the day.
- Lemon Juice– Use the citric acid in lemon juice by cutting a lemon in half and gently rubbing the solution onto the skin tag. Once dry, this process can be repeated 2-3 times daily.
If you have questions about skin tag removal, contact Skin Laser & Surgery Specialists of New York and New Jersey to book your consultation and learn more about options and treatments. Our practice serves residents of New York, New Jersey, and even South Florida, with offices in Hackensack, Manhattan, Hillsborough, Montclair, and Palm Beach Gardens. A glowing complexion diminished of wrinkles, scars, and discoloration is within your reach.