Skin Care in your 20’s, 30’s, 40’s and Beyond!
At SLSS, we often get asked “what should I really be doing for my skin”?! Since every age group has different requirements for their skin, we have developed our go-to’s for every group!
In your 20’s:
This is the time to really get into a good, basic skin care regimen. In our 20s, our skin is still building good amounts of collagen, so anti-aging isn’t a core issue for the skin. Hormonal and stress related breakouts are of the biggest concern; however, it is a good time to start using some anti-aging products.
- Make sure that you are using a cleanser based upon your skin type. Normal skin should use a gentle cleanser to keep from stripping away the good oils on your skin, thus turning you into the Sahara Desert! More Combination to Oily skin should use a gentle cleanser with salicylic acid to keep clogged pores and breakouts at bay.
- Start getting into the habit of good sun protection! Starting with a good Broad Spectrum SPF daily will help to ward off sun related sun damage that makes us look older later on. We recommend broad spectrum SPF 15-50 for good daily protection. If you are on the more oily skin side, look for an oil-free formulation so as not to aggravate the skin.
- Start slowly with anti-aging products-Growth factors and retinol are 2 of the key components of our anti-aging regimen. “For younger skin in its 20’s, this is a good start to the basics of anti-aging”, says Dr. Margarita Lolis. Growth factors will help to continue the building of collagen, while Retinol not only smooths fine lines, but helps to keep pores unclogged.
- Don’t go to bed with makeup on!-Remember this above all. It is the biggest culprit of clogged pores. No matter how tired you are from all-night studying, or a party into the wee hours, keep make-up remover cloths by your bed to make sure you get off all the pore clogging gunk!
In your 30’s:
If you haven’t started an anti-aging regimen, now is the time. Collagen will start to break down slowly in your 30’s. Since we can’t stop the aging clock, we can begin to slow it down!
- Sun Protection is a must! – The effects of unprotected sun exposure can start to really appear through your 30’s. To stop the further progression, while also warding off skin cancer, make sure you are using broad spectrum sunscreen protection daily.
- Kick up your anti-aging—If you are already on the growth factors, consider kicking them up with the addition of peptides. Peptides help to support the building and sustaining of collagen formation. These chains of proteins help support the inner structures of your skin. Using Retinol consistently will also help to smooth skin and decrease the appearance of fine lines.
- Remember the eyes-skin around the eyes tends to get dryer as we age. Since the skin around the eyes is so thin, invest in a good eye cream! When the skin around the eyes dries out, we look more tired and wrinkled. We recommend Skin Medica TNS Eye Repair. With micro amounts of Retinol and growth factors, this helps to brighten the eye area and keep you looking wide awake!
40’s and Beyond:
Mature skin has different needs than it did in your 20’s and 30’s.
- Moisture is a must! Skin that is dry and dehydrated tends to look older. Make sure you invest in a proper moisturizer. Look for one with a hyaluronic acid base to keep skin plump and hydrated.
- Antioxidants are not just for your body-The skin benefits from a boost of antioxidants. These help to protect the skin from sun damage. Vitamins C&E are great skin boosting antioxidants.
- Glycolic Acid is your friend-consider a system of gentle skin peels to smooth out skin, erase signs of sun damage, and achieve an overall healthy glow.
To create a personalized skin care regimen to fit your skin needs, schedule a consultation now with any of our providers to be on your way to your best skin ever!